Surah al-Baqarah was revealed in Madinah and contains 286 ayahs making it the largest Surah of the Quran. It was first revealed in the beginning years after migration. It discusses matters of belief, rulings, worship and principles of Shari’ah extensively. It also talks about the various people and sects with specific mention and explanation of the people of faith, people of the book and the hypocrites in its introduction. Some of the more important matters discussed in it are:
- The oneness of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and its proofs
- The truth of the Quran and evidences of it being a revelation
- Proofs of the righteousness of the Blessed Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam
- Rulings pertaining to salah, fasting, hajj, umrah, retaliation for murder, etc.
- Establishing good morals and avoiding immorality
- Establishing a bond with Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and turning to Him in all matters
- The method of supplicating to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala